IEC 60695-7-2:2021 gives a brief summary of the test methods that are in common use in the assessment of the toxicity of fire effluent. It includes special observations on their relevance to real fire scenarios and gives recommendations on their use.
It advises which tests provide toxic potency data that are relevant to real fire scenarios, and which are suitable for use in fire hazard assessment and fire safety engineering.
The list of test methods is not to be considered exhaustive.
This summary cannot be used in place of published standards which are the only valid reference documents.
This basic safety publication is intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51.
One of the responsibilities of a technical committee is, wherever applicable, to make use of basic safety publications in the preparation of its publications. The requirements, test methods or test conditions of this basic safety publication will not apply unless specifically referred to or included in the relevant publications.
This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2011. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
The main changes with respect to the previous edition are listed below:
– New text in the introduction;
– New text in the scope;
– Clause 2 has been updated;
– Many terms and definitions in Clause 3 reproduced from ISO 13943 have been deleted. Other terms and definitions have been added.
– New text in Subclauses 4.3 and 4.4;
– New text in Subclause 6.1;
– References to IEC 60695-7-50 and -51 (now withdrawn) have been removed;
– Reference to DEF STAN 07-247 has been added;
– Details of ISO/TS 19021 have been added;
– Details of EN 17084 have been added;
– New text added concerning ISO/TS 19700;
– New text added concerning the IMO FTP toxicity test;
– New Subclause 7.1 has been added;
– The Annex in Edition1 has been replaced by new Clause 8;
– The bibliography has been updated.