This document applies to the following machines and to machines which incorporate more than one function as listed below. The document also applies to partly completed machinery as far as conformity is claimed for certain essential health and safety requirements.
This document deals with the following machines handling rigid containers including:
- unscrambling machines;
- cap removing machines;
- cleaning machines;
- sanitizing machines;
- filling machines;
- capping, closing and sealing machines;
- closure securing machines;
- inspection machines;
- labelling machines;
- decorating machines;
- heating- and cooling machines for packed product, working at atmospheric pressure;
- sterilizing machines (others than heat treatment)
with one or more of the following functions: cleaning, sanitizing, pasteurizing, filling, labelling, closing, sealing or inspecting and handling pre-formed rigid containers including their closures.
This document also deals with equipment when it is part of a machine listed above:
- vacuum or magnetic transfer conveyors;
- dispose or eject devices (pushers);
- keg stopping devices;
- keg lift and inverting machines;
- extraction or ventilation system or blowers;
- rotary mechanisms;
- coding and marking equipment incorporated in a packaging machine;
- hot foil coders;
- laser coders;
- ink jet coders;
- emboss coders.
The individual machines are described in 3.2.
This document deals with safety requirements and their verification for machine design, construction and information applicable to installation, commissioning, operation, adjustment, maintenance, cleaning, dismantling of packaging machines for pre-formed rigid containers.
The extent to which hazards, hazardous situations and events are covered is indicated in Annex B.
NOTE The hazards on a specific machine can vary depending on its working principle; the type, size and mass of the product; the packaging material; auxiliary equipment attached to the machine and the environment in which the machine is used. If the machine presents hazards that are not covered by this document or EN 415-10, the manufacturer can assess these hazards and take measures by using the principles detailed in EN ISO 12100:2010.
This document is not applicable to the following machines:
- machines that were manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN;
- machines for cups or trays or tubs made of a foil of plastic, aluminium or paper, which are the subject of EN 415-3;
- aerosol filling and sealing machines;
- filling machines for gas;
- conveyors which link packaging machines but are not integrated in packaging machines or part of packaging machines;
- blow moulding machines;
NOTE See EN 422:2009:
- sleeve label removing machines.
This document does not consider the following hazards:
- the use of packaging machines in potentially explosive atmospheres not generated by the machine itself;
- hazards associated with packing explosives;
- hazards arising from ancillary equipment, which is not part of the machine, e.g. equipment for evacuating gases, for cooling or refrigeration, for the supply of steam, energy or product.
Directives related to this standard.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)
SRPS EN 415-2:2009
naSRPS EN 415-2:2022
45.99 Dispatch of FV draft to CCMC
Oct 25, 2023