1.1 This document specifies safety requirements for construction, manufacturing, installation, maintenance, inspection and dismantling of permanently installed electrically powered vertical lifting appliances affixed to a building structure intended for use by persons, including persons with disability:
- travelling vertically between predefined levels along a guided path whose inclination to the vertical does not exceed 15°;
- supported or sustained by rack and pinion, rope traction drive, noncircular elastomeric-coated suspension means (hereafter called traction belts) traction drive, rope positive drive, chains, toothed belts, screw and nut, guided chain, scissors mechanism or hydraulic jack (direct or indirect);
- with enclosed wells;
- with a rated speed not greater than 0,15 m/s;
- with the carrier completely enclosed.
1.2 This document does not cover:
- hydraulic lifting appliances where the setting of the pressure relief valve (18.104.22.168.3) exceeds 50 MPa;
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- lightning protection;
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- handling of materials, the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations;
- lifting appliances whose primary function is the transportation of goods;
- lifting appliances prone to vandalism;
- earthquakes, flooding;
- firefighting and evacuation;
- noise and vibrations;
- the design of concrete, hard core, timber or other foundation or building arrangement;
- the design of anchorage bolts to the supporting structure;
- the transport of type-C wheelchairs as defined in EN 12183:2014 and/or EN 12184:2014;
- vertically sliding doors.
NOTE Noise and vibration are not considered significant nor relevant hazards.
1.3 This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations or hazardous events relevant to lifting appliance, when it is used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer. They have been identified by risk assessment; see Annex I.
1.4 This document is not applicable to lifting appliances manufactured before the date of its publication.
Directives related to this standard.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)
naSRPS EN 81-42:2021
40.60 Close of voting
Aug 25, 2022