1.1 This document specifies power operated temporarily installed builders hoists (referred to as "hoists" in this document) intended for use by persons who are permitted to enter sites of engineering and construction, serving landing levels, having a cage:
- designed for the transportation of persons or of persons and materials;
- travelling vertically or along a path within 15° max. of the vertical;
- supported or sustained by rack and pinion;
- where masts, when erected, may or may not require support from separate structures.
1.2 This document specifies the significant hazards, hazardous situations or hazardous events relevant to the machine as listed in Annex C which arise during the various phases in the life of the machine and describes methods for the elimination or reduction of these hazards when it is used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
1.3 This document does not specify the additional requirements for:
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- lightning protection;
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- electromagnetic compatibility (emission, immunity);
- handling of loads the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. molten metal, acids/bases, radiating materials, fragile loads);
- the use of combustion engines;
- the use of remote controls;
- hazards occurring during manufacture;
- hazards occurring as a result of mobility;
- hazards occurring as a result of being erected over a public road;
- dual (twin) cage hoists;
- twin masts hoists;
- combination hoists, e.g. an EN 12159 hoist with an EN 12158-1 hoist;
- counterweighted hoists, neither by separate counterweight nor counterweighted by another cage.
1.4 This document does not apply to:
- builders hoists for the transport of goods only EN 12158 1:2021 and EN 12158 2:2000+A1:2010;
- lifts according to EN 81-20:2020, EN 81-3:2000+A1:2008 and EN 81-43:2009;
- work cages suspended from lifting appliances;
- work platforms carried on the forks of fork trucks;
- work platforms according to EN 1495:1997+A2:2009/AC:2010;
- transport platforms according to EN 16719:2018;
- lifts specially designed for military purposes;
- mine lifts;
- theatre elevators;
- hoists with hydraulic drive/braking systems and hydraulic safety devices.
1.5 This document specifies the hoist installation. It includes the base frame and base enclosure but excludes the design of any concrete, hard core, timber or other foundation arrangement. It includes the design of mast ties but excludes the design of anchor bolts to the supporting structure. It includes the landing gates and their frames but excludes the design of any anchorage fixing bolts to the supporting structure.
1.6 This document does not apply to builders’ hoists for persons and material with vertically guided cages which are manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.
Directives related to this standard.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)
dnaSRPS EN 12159 :2019
50.60 Close of voting. Proof returned by secretariat
Jul 25, 2022